This blog documents my summer experience in Liberia serving in the Ministry of Gender & Development. Please join me and six other Kennedy School of Government students as we venture into a post-conflict country and a government under reconstruction.

**Special thanks to the Council of Women World Leaders for their generous support and sponsorship.


In their own words...

On Liberia’s reconstruction…

Yue Man (intern): Madam President, how do you remain energized given the enormous challenges and competing priorities?
President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf: The potential for transformational change is here. That keeps me motivated.


“It’s easy to fall sick, but it takes time to heal.”
-Comfort Boog-Paye, Ministry of Gender and Development

"I think my people forgot what they were fighting over and simply became accustomed to picking up their machetes and guns. It was every man for himself. People grew tired of the Charles Taylors of Liberia, hording the country's wealth for themselves. The oppressed decided it was their turn and so much blood was shed as a result.....reconstruction and development will take decades. What took 14 years to destroy cannot be fixed over night. I hope our country is patient enough to see such change come about." (paraphrased)
- Jonathan, a thirty-something Liberian taxi driver

On gender and war…
“During the war, the women were the ones risking their lives, braving bullets, machetes, rape to reach the markets and put food on the table....as mothers and home-makers, we had no choice. Our husbands didn't have a problem with us leaving our homes then. Now that the war has ceased, they think we will go back to being confined at home? I have long worked to ensure that women have a voice in the matter: during the peace talks, in current policy debates, and will continue to do so for elections to come." (paraphrased)
-Etweda Cooper, Liberian Women's Initiative

1 comment:

African Dream Academy said...

Good morning Yesenia, I have been reding your blog and the blogs of your fellow students who went to Liberia.
I am Samuel Enders president of the (africandreamacademy.org)
Please accept my thanks and appreciation for taking the step of going to my country Liberia. As I read your blog like many of your friends who went to Liberia I am encourage to go back home.

I came here 9 years ago to study and return home. I have completed my bachelors and masters and am I am working towards that dream.

Those of you, who are able to go in and out of Liberia with a fresh look, touch me and give me the courage to continue working towards my dream for my fellow Liberians.
I want to plan properly and execute my plan with passion and sustainability.

As a student from one of the world's most prestigious schools, what advice can you give me? Seeing the needs that exist in Liberia is there anything you can do to help or is this close book since you came back? I am not speaking in terms of money; I think you have great ideas to make a lasting impact in Liberia.

The African Dream Academy which is a non-for profit board governed entity, will be appreciative to take your priceless advice and service.

Thanks Zack, please know that you made a difference.

Sam